Occasional Chairs Are Back
Occasional chairs are back. Oh yes, they are and for many reasons.
When you want to punctuate your design efforts, add a pop of color, make a unique statement, define a space or just have an extra seat for your next soirée, the occasional chair is your most versatile option.
The choice available in occasional chairs is endless. In fact, choosing just one might be the hardest part of your shopping experience.
If you’re adding a home office, redecorating an empty nest, furnishing your first apartment, or looking to hone your inner-designer, the occasional chair is a good place to start. They are relatively inexpensive when compared to other major furniture items, yet they can add a unique touch, a dimension of personality as well as serving as a functional addition to any room.
Occasional chairs, as the name implies, are easily moved about to accommodate occasional seating requirements as they arise. To do this, they are usually more lightweight than their armchair, chaise, rocking and club chair cousins.
How do you choose the chair that’s right for you? Here are some questions to consider when shopping for occasional chairs:
- What color or colors do you want?
- Do you prefer leather or fabric?
- How large or small does this chair need to be?
- Does it need to match other furniture in the room?
- Or, do you want it to stand out and make its own statement?
- Are you after a traditional or more contemporary design?
- Who will be sitting in it?
- When it comes to form (looks) or function (comfort), which is your priority?
- Can this chair have a multitude of uses?
- Does the occasional chair work in any other rooms in your home?
- What’s your price range?
- Can you pick it up or will it need to be delivered?
Chances are the future will find you shopping for an occasional chair to add to a room in your home. So have fun with it. Find your personal balance between form and function. Be daring and experiment a little. You may find that like potato chips, it’s hard to stop at just one.